The living plant
It owes its nickname to its unique characteristic, it closes its leaves in the evening and opens again during the day. This can produce a rustling sound. This tropical beauty literally brings your living room to life.
This houseplant has its roots in the jungles of South America, to simulate the high humidity at home you can spray the plant regularly with the plant sprayer.
The Calathea likes small amounts of water regularly, but does not like it if he constantly has his feet in the water. If you keep the soil slightly moist, you'll be fine.
If the leaves turn yellow, you have watered too much for a long time, are the leaves curling up? Then you give too little.
In winter you can safely give less water, the Calathea then goes into hibernation.
It is important to spray regularly, as soon as the heating is switched on, the air becomes dry and most houseplants do not like that.
In the rainforest, this plant is under the canopy of large trees, through which the sunlight shimmers a bit. In the living room, place the plant in a light place, but not in direct sun. This is also called semi-shade. He also likes a place a little further in the room.
If the Calathea is too light, you will automatically see this on the leaves, brown edges and spots will soon form on the leaf. If you have placed the Calathea too dark, you will see that the leaf markings will slowly disappear and the leaf will become more (solid) green. Then place the plant in a lighter spot.
If you have pets or children that sometimes nibble on a plant, don't panic, the Calathea is not poisonous to humans and animals. However, we do not recommend eating them.
As mentioned before, the Calathea likes to be sprayed regularly with the plant sprayer, this is also very good for combating plant diseases such as spider mites. This mite is most common in the autumn/winter when the heating is turned on again and the humidity is low. It is best to buy a biological pesticide to combat spider mites.
Conditions & details
• Please note: plants are a living product and may differ slightly from the photo and dimensions.
• The plants are delivered in a plastic nursery pot, so no ornamental pot.
• You are entitled to a good and complete product.
• Plants are perishable goods. According to the law, no right of withdrawal applies to this. That is why a complaint will only be processed if the plant is delivered damaged.
• Is the plant delivered damaged? Please report this to customer service with a photo. In case of damage, a new plant will be sent.
• You do not need to return severely damaged plants. A new plant will then be sent to you.